Marijuana Tea: A Comprehensive Guide
From joints to edibles, there are many ways to consume marijuana. One of the lesser-known but increasingly popular methods of consumption is marijuana tea. But how does this steeped approach to weed usage affect your body? Is it safe? Legal? Does it show up on drug tests?
With the once-esoteric tradition of marijuana tea now entering the mainstream, it’s important to stay informed on its potential risks and benefits. To that end, here’s everything you need to know about marijuana tea.
What Is Marijuana Tea?
Marijuana tea, also known as cannabis tea or weed tea, is a way to consume marijuana in beverage form. It is considered by many to be a soothing and flavorful way to enjoy the benefits of marijuana. Compared to smoking or vaping, marijuana tea offers a milder onset and longer-lasting effects.
How It’s Used
Unlike most teas, marijuana tea is not made by simply heating the leaves in water. Instead, marijuana is infused into a fat or oil, which helps extract cannabinoids. After grinding and baking the marijuana to activate its cannabinoids, it's combined with fat over low heat. Boiled water is then poured over a tea bag or loose-leaf tea in a mug, along with the marijuana-infused fat. After steeping, the tea should be consumed gradually to control the dosage and give any effects time to manifest.
How Marijuana Tea Affects Your Body
Like other forms of marijuana consumption, marijuana tea affects your body through its active compounds, particularly tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). However, the effects may differ due to the way these compounds are absorbed.
When you consume marijuana tea, the cannabinoids are absorbed through the digestive system, which leads to a slower onset of effects compared to smoking or vaping. It typically takes 30 minutes to 2 hours to feel the full effects, but they can last for several hours, providing a more prolonged and gradual experience.
The slow onset and extended duration make marijuana tea an attractive choice for individuals seeking a more controlled and sustained cannabis experience. For instance, it may be viewed as helpful for patients using medicinal marijuana, as it allows for a smoother integration of the therapeutic benefits without the abrupt intensity often associated with smoking or vaping.
Does Marijuana Tea Get You High?
Yes, marijuana tea can indeed induce a high, but the intensity of the high can vary significantly based on several factors.
- Strain of Marijuana: The type of marijuana strain used plays a crucial role. Sativa strains may offer a more uplifting and energetic high, while Indica strains tend to provide a relaxing and sedative experience. Hybrid strains combine elements of both.
- Dosage: The amount of marijuana used in the tea greatly influences the high. A smaller dose may result in a mild, manageable high, while a higher dose can lead to a more pronounced and potentially overwhelming experience.
- Individual Tolerance: Each person's tolerance to marijuana is unique. What may be a moderate high for one individual could be an intense experience for another. Understanding your tolerance is key to controlling your marijuana tea experience.
The high induced by marijuana tea is typically characterized by a sense of relaxation, euphoria, and altered sensory perception. Many users describe it as a more mellow and less intense high compared to smoking or vaping.
Is Marijuana Tea Legal?
The legality of marijuana tea, like all marijuana products, varies widely from place to place. In regions where recreational or medical marijuana is legal, you may be able to purchase or make marijuana tea legally. However, in areas where marijuana is prohibited, making or consuming marijuana tea can lead to legal consequences.
Always check your local laws and regulations regarding marijuana use and possession to ensure you comply with the law. The legal landscape surrounding marijuana is evolving, so it's crucial to stay informed about the laws in your jurisdiction.
Side Effects of Marijuana Tea
While marijuana is purported to offer therapeutic benefits and a pleasant high for many users, it's essential to be aware of the potential side effects of using marijuana tea. These may include:
- Dry Mouth (Cottonmouth): Marijuana can cause dry mouth, leading to a parched feeling. Staying hydrated by drinking water or herbal tea can help alleviate this discomfort.
- Increased Heart Rate: Marijuana may temporarily increase your heart rate. While this effect is generally not harmful, individuals with heart conditions should be cautious and monitor their heart rate.
- Anxiety and Paranoia: In some cases, especially with high-THC strains, marijuana tea can increase anxiety or paranoia. Starting with a lower dose and choosing strains with higher CBD content may help mitigate these effects.
- Drowsiness: Depending on the strain and dosage, marijuana tea can also induce drowsiness. As such, it is often preferred for evening or bedtime consumption.
It's important to note that the severity and likelihood of these side effects can vary among individuals. Even if you have a prescription or live in an area where marijuana use is legal, you should always use marijuana tea responsibly, starting with a low dose, and gradually increasing as needed can help minimize adverse reactions.
Does Marijuana Tea Show Up on a Drug Test?
Yes, marijuana tea has the potential to show up on a drug test, as most drug tests screen for the presence of THC or its metabolites in the body. Since marijuana tea contains THC, it can result in a positive drug test, depending on when the test is taken and individual factors such as metabolism and frequency of use.
If you are subject to drug testing and concerned about the results, it's advisable to abstain from marijuana use or choose products with lower THC levels, such as CBD-dominant strains. Additionally, some drug tests differentiate between THC and CBD, so finding out the specific test being administered can be beneficial.
Get Ahead of Your Results with Countrywide Testing
If you’re worried that the use of marijuana tea may affect your drug test results, the best thing to do is to get answers from an experienced provider. At Countrywide Testing, our reliable and accurate drug testing services can help you understand if any substances — from legitimate treatments and medications to supplements or recreational drugs — will cause any issues by showing up as a positive on your test. With our range of easy, at-home drug testing options, Countrywide can help you get an early understanding of your potential test results so you are prepared to protect yourself during a mandated screening.
Countrywide is an online retailer providing you with easy access to standard drug tests. We offer an array of products for testing at home, individuals staying clean after rehab, workplace testing, healthcare emergencies, and law enforcement purposes. Our test kits are convenient, affordable, and ship to you quickly. Plus, our lab is accredited by SAMHSA, so you can rest assured your test results are handled in accordance with the highest industry standards.
At Countrywide Testing, we provide fast, accurate results in an easy-to-use format so that you can get the information you need. Contact us today to learn more about our comprehensive selection of testing services.